How to Sow:
- Sow outdoors where they are to crop, Sow 5cm (2”) deep directly into finely prepared soil which has already been watered.
- To make best use of space sow seeds 23cm (9”) apsrt in a wide row, in a zig zag pattern leaving a space of 45cm (19”) between each row.
- Seedlings usually apart in 10-18 days.
- Early and late sowings benefit from cloche protection. Water well until plants are established. Successional sowing will ensure a continuous supply and longer harvest.
- Or sow indoors 2.5cm (1”) deep into individually into pots, or get them started in a cool greenhouse in toilet roll tubes. Water well and place in a warm position. Gradually accustom plants to outside conditions (avoid frosts) before planting out 23cm 9”) apart.
- Harvested fresh beans are great for freezing for later use, or let them dry on the plant and save them in jars for a much later date, or indeed sowing next year!
- Broad beans are a great source of vitamin B1 folate and fibre.